Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a serious concern, but the mass hysteria and panic sweeping the world is only making matters unnecessarily worse for everyone (particularly for hospital workers and public health professionals).
Scientific illiteracy and mass overreaction to fear mongering headlines and misinformation have led to panic buying of essentials such as toilet paper, long-life milk, and canned goods.
But the good news is that if everyone calms down and approaches the problem with level heads, we can “flatten the curve” and contain it much sooner.
With this in mind, I devised a short coronavirus quiz to test your knowledge on the basics of hygiene and virus transmission. While this quiz is geared towards COVID-19, it is also relevant to all seasonal flu viruses.
Take the quiz below and check your answers at the bottom.
Begin coronavirus (COVID-19) quiz
Coronavirus further reading
Moving forward, reduce your consumption of fear-driven news from popular tabloid websites and rely on evidence-based official information.
I have compiled a list of coronavirus links from major health organisations around the world.
- World Health Organisation – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- US Centers for Disease Control – About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Australian Dept of Health – Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources
- UK National Health Services – Coronavirus COVID-19
- Canadian Govt – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Being prepared
Other relevant resources on this site
- Interactive fake news detector tool
- Interactive bullshit detector for health products and services
- 37 Bullshit health marketing phrases you should ignore
- Want to lose weight and get healthy? Then stop chasing golden unicorns
- Detox “decision making” tool
Answers to quiz questions
The correct answer is in bolded italics.
1. The virus is thought to spread from:
Animal to person
Chinese food to person
Person to person
Corona beer to person
2. I should wash my hands with soap and water for:
3. I have no symptoms, therefore I cannot spread the virus:
4. I should cough or sneeze:
Upwards and away from others
Into my hand
Into my arm (crease near elbow)
Towards people I don’t like
5. I shouldn’t touch my:
Eyes, nose, mouth
Hair, ears, neck
Chest, shoulders, back
Hip, thigh, knee
6. I’m not feeling well. I should:
Go to work
Go watch a movie
Catch a flight to somewhere warm
7. I’m having flu-like symptoms. I should keep at least __ away from others:
1 foot (30.5 cm)
2 feet (61 cm)
4 feet (122 cm)
6 feet (183 cm)
8. I should use a hand sanitizer that contains at least:
9. I should wear a facemask:
Never. They don’t help
If I’m sick or caring for a sick person
Even if I’m not sick
Because everyone else has one
10. Which of the following is NOT an effective disinfectant for killing coronavirus?